Boys’ water polo prepares for championships

Senior Captains Lucas Novak  Ray Zhao block a shot at practice. Photo by George Lu.
Senior captains Lucas Novak and Ray Zhao block a shot at practice. Photo by George Lu.

The Palo Alto High School boys’ water polo team (9-3) has high hopes as it gets ready for the De Anza League championships, which will take place from today to Saturday at Gunn High School.

The team is confident going into leagues because of its strong league record and the quality of play it has been able to produce lately.

According to Max Preps, the top two scorers on the team are junior Winston Rosati and senior captain Lucas Novak, who have averaged of 3.3 and 2.6 goals per game, respectively. The team’s offense will rely on them to make a difference in their play, according to junior driver Ryan Reed.

According to Reed, the team had a couple of tense games this season because of its inability to control the first quarter against weaker teams.

“We can challenge the best teams, but it’s important that we work on putting weaker teams away in the first quarter,” Reed said.

According to Reed, one of the team’s weaknesses this season is the players’ tendency to play down to the level of their opponents. The team’s toughest opponent will be Gunn (12-0), to whom the Vikings fell, 12-6, on Senior Night, according to Reed.

The Vikings, who are ranked second in leagues, will play Homestead High School, ranked seventh, today at 6:40 p.m in the first round of the De Anza Division League tournament.

If the Vikings win against the Mustangs, they will most likely go on to play against Mountain View High School, ranked third in leagues, for a place in the championship game at 4:20 p.m on Friday.