Preview: “A Server of Two Masters”

Cast members rehearse in costume in preparation for opening night. The show opens Thursday Nov. 6.
Cast members rehearse in costume in preparation for the opening night of “Server of Two Masters,” a comedy set in Silicon Valley. The show opens this Thursday for general admission. Tickets can be bought online or at the door. Photo by Alex Merkle-Raymond.

The Palo Alto High School Theatre Department will debut a new show called “A Server of Two Masters” at 7:30 p.m. this Thursday in the Haymarket Theatre.

The show, written by Paly parent Tony Kienitz, is based off of Carlo Goldoni’s “The Servant of Two Masters” but adds a unique twist by setting it in the Silicon Valley. The comedy mocks Silicon Valley culture by depicting a teenager working two internships.

Kientz directed Paly’s first play this year, “The Stinky Cheese Man,” but Kathleen Woods, the head of the Theatre Department, will be directing the play.

Woods believes that the show will be a success and that the story will be easy for the audience to connect with.

“I think they [the audience] are going to be able to relate to it like crazy,” Woods said. “There’s a lot of Palo Alto specific humor, and there’s a lot of California Silicon Valley high tech humor. It’s really a lot of fun.”

According to Woods, the play did present several unexpected challenges due to script adaptations.

“Because we adapted the script and because we used improv, there have been challenges,” Woods said. “In fact, we are still reworking parts of it. It’s very close. We’re just working with the structure to modernize it but to keep the story clear.”

Junior Charlotte Moffatt, who works as a technician for the production, says the play has many unique aspects.

“It’s [as] if you took Silicon Valley and mashed it up with 1500s Italian theatre and then added a lot of nonsense which gave birth to a comedy,” Moffatt said.

Several actors said that they have enjoyed the show and its production.

“The show is very fun to work on,” senior Cara Kienitz said. “It’s much different than all the shows we have done recently because they were dramas and this ones just very lighthearted and fun.”

Tickets are $10 for adults and $7 for seniors and students. They can be bought at the door or online at the Paly Theatre website. Shows will take place 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. this Thursday, Friday, and Nov. 13 to Nov. 15 at the Haymarket Theatre.