Art Center to host Global Family Day

Global family day will take place at the Palo Alto Art Center on 1313 Newell Road from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. tomorrow.  Admission is free.  Photo by Saba Moussavian.
Global family day will take place tomorrow at the Palo Alto Art Center on 1313 Newell Road. Admission is free. Photo by Saba Moussavian.

The Palo Alto Art Center will be hosting a free Global Family Day from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. tomorrow.

The event will include art-making activities from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and dance performances from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. by Xpressions, an Indian dance group, and Raice De Mexico, a Mexican folkloric dance group, according to the Art Center website.

Indian dance group Xpressions performs at the reopening of the Palo Alto Art Center.  Xpressions along with Mexican folkloric dance group Raice De Mexico will perform at Global Family day on Sunday.  Photo courtesy of Palo Alto Art Center.
Indian dance group Xpressions performs at the reopening of the Palo Alto Art Center. Xpressions, along with Mexican folkloric dance group Raice De Mexico, will perform at Global Family Day on Sunday. Photo courtesy of Palo Alto Art Center.

Although the Art Center has hosted fall festivals in the past, this is the first year that the event will have a world culture theme, according to Art Center Family Programming and Outreach Coordinator Tasmia Zahra Hussain.

“We really wanted to think of ideas on how we can bring a more diverse audience to the Art Center and make it a more welcoming place for people from different cultures,” Hussain said. “We have art activities from all different cultures so people can kind of feel like they can relate.”

The dances are all performed by children and teens who dress up in costumes, according to Hussain.

“It’s a great way to introduce all the different dances from the different parts of the world to our audience,” Hussain said. “It’s a wonderful experience for the whole family.”

Hussain says the activities are catered to all ages.

“All the art activities are designed in a way where they can adapt to all different age groups,” Hussain said. “Young people can adapt to it just like the older people.”

Hussain says the Art Center is expecting a high turnout and that she is looking forward to tomorrow’s event.

“It’s a great way of spending an afternoon of just art making,” Hussain said. “I hope to see some Paly students there.”