Girls’ golf hopes to take lead against Gunn

Senior Olivia Johnson and sophomore Elise Kiya take some practice swings at the Palo Alto Municipal Golf course. Photo by Claire Krugler.

After falling to Gunn High School (11-0, 12-1) by three strokes at their last match, the Palo Alto High girls’ golf team (9-1, 10-1) is ready to take on the Titans yet again  at 3 p.m. tomorrow.

Paly first played Gunn on Sept. 15 and lost with a nail-biting score score of 195-192. Gunn is the only team that Paly has fallen to so far.

Coach Doyle Knight says that his team can pull through this time around.

“I hope to give them a good battle. Last time it came down to our No. 5-6 players,” Knight said. “Our teams are so evenly matched that we haven’t done anything differently, it’s who has the better day.”

Sophomore Emily Hwang says that the team has improved since their last match against Gunn.

“We’ve been working really hard on improving all aspects of our games during practice these last couple weeks, including our mental game,” Hwang said. “We’re just going to go out there and try our best to play with confidence and not get down on ourselves after a bad shot.”

Key Gunn players include recent Harvard recruit Anna Zhou. In their last meet against Homestead High School, Zhou shot two strokes under par (34) and freshman Lydia Tsai shot two over par (38) on Oct. 14.

Gunn’s No. 1 player, Anna Zhou, committed to Harvard women’s golf last week, so she can obviously shoot really low,” Hwang says. “Their whole team is really good and I think it’ll be a close match.”

Paly is scheduled to tee off against Gunn at 3 p.m. on Oct. 16 at Santa Teresa Golf course in San Jose.