ASB profits from breast cancer awareness shirts

Palo Alto High School’s Associated Student Body meeting minutes from yesterday announced that ASB profited from the awareness shirts they sold last week. According to the meeting minutes, ASB sold 405 of the 450 shirts and made a profit of $1,535.

Breast cancer organization, HERS,  collected $450 in direct donations at the ASB-hosted tailgate on Friday, according to Student Activities Director Matt Hall.

Hall is very pleased that ASB did not lose money on the shirts after the controversy.

“We were a little worried because we thought we started selling them late or that the pricing and sizing was off,” Hall said.

Many students said that ASB should not have sold the shirts considering the profits did not benefit the cause directly. After Claire Liu and other ASB officers Facebook postings about the shirt controversy, students said they understood that ASB’s intentions were never malicious, according to Senior Vice President Olivia Scola.

Senior Coby Parker says he understands that ASB is legally not allowed to donated directly to the cause.

“I think that the shirts are a good way of raising awareness for a meaningful cause and I know that ASB would have preferred to donate directly,” Parker said. “I understand they are legally not allowed to, but at first their idea was a little half-baked.”

ASB has sold out of all long-sleeve white shirts and is close to selling out of short sleeve pink shirts. There are many shirts that people ordered online and have not picked up yet.

ASB plans to discuss what to do with the profits made at the meeting tomorrow during 3rd period.