Style Sunday: Laura Maystead

Welcome to the first ever Style Sunday by Molly and Adele. We will highlight a Palo Alto High School style icon on Sundays to give you inspiration for your outfits of the week. Check back on Sundays for a weather inspired outfit from a fashionista near you.

Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 10.02.16 AM
Junior Laura Maystead poses in her outfit targeted for sunny weather. This upcoming week will have temperatures ranging from 70 to 90 degrees, and Laura recommends the following outfit for a comfortable and confident day.

This upcoming week will have temperatures ranging from 70 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. With another week of warm weather, we sat down with junior Laura Maystead to find out her fashion plans for the week.

“I like to go on Polyvore, and see what new outfits are trending,” Maystead said. “Typically it [my outfit] is whatever comes to mind.”

With the upcoming warm weather, Maystead plans to dress simply but uniquely.

“You can never go wrong with a graphic T-shirt,” Maystead said. “When paired with the right accessories, they look put together. This week I’d go with something simple like that. Pair it with a denim mini [jacket] or with a leather vest.”

Maystead’s light wash denim vest was $10 from Forever 21, while the “Summer Rock” old band tee was free; however, one can typically get a similar shirt for around $10.

Maystead wears the navy blue skater skirt, which she got from a boutique for $40.

The tee-vest combination is tucked into a navy blue skater skirt, which she got from a boutique for $40.

“A flared skirt for something more quirky,” Maystead said.

According to Maystead, warmer weather requires less effort in layering.

“I love dresses,” Maystead said. “It’s like an outfit all in one, no planning.”

Maystead’s heeled booties ($30) are paired with gray socks ($8).

Regarding shoes, Maystead is a big fan of boots.

“I hate dressing for summer because I can’t wear boots.”

Heeled booties are Maystead’s favorite and can be worn when the weather falls just short of the hot side. Maystead’s heeled booties are paired with gray socks that cost her $30 and $8, respectively.

IMG_9849-3
Maystead wears a mix of bought, custom-made and hand-me-down jewelry.

When it comes to jewelry, Maystead not only buys her own, but also wears hand-me-downs and custom-made pieces. Maystead layers jewelry to dress up any simple outfits for the week.

“Simple pieces are easy to make and when you pair them with a lot of other necklaces it looks like you actually tried,” Maystead said.

The slim ring can be bought for under $20, while the bracelet can be bought for $28 at Alex and Ani.

Maystead looks forward to fall fashion and layered outfits.

“Scarves with dresses and big coats and boots and socks,” Maystead said. “I just love all those pieces, so that’s my favorite [season].”