Global Citizens Collaborative Club

Junior Mabel Furutsuki, junior Claire Morris, and junior Jesse Kim stand behind their Global Citizens Collaborative display. Their club emphasizes the importance of global and cultural awareness. Photo by Josh Yuen.

Are you interested in discussing global issues? Or maybe helping out with social action projects?

The Global Citizens Collaborative Club promotes awareness of global citizenship through student collaboration with peers from other countries, according to junior Mabel Furutsuki, the Global Citizens Collaborative Club president.

Furutsuki has been organizing cultural awareness events for her neighborhood throughout the past year.

“I was doing cultural awareness activities with kids, and many people that stopped by said that it [Global Citizens Collaborative] should be a club,” Furutsuki said, adding that her group will focus on global issues and social action projects.

Furutsuki discovered an organization called Neighbors Abroad, which is the official Sister City organization of Palo Alto. According to  the organization’s website, the mission of Neighbors Abroad is to “provide the people of Palo Alto and its sister cities [with] an understanding of each other as individuals, as communities, and as countries – and to foster a better understanding of the world.”

With the help of Neighbors Abroad, the Global Citizens Collaborative Club hopes to assemble kits for individuals in Oaxaca, Mexico, and Palo, Phillipines, as well as watch and discuss documentaries regarding global issues, according to Furutsuki.

“If they [students] want to make a difference in the world and do some service, or become more knowledgeable about the world,” Furutsuki said. “Then they should join our club.”

Meetings are every Tuesday at lunch in room 812. Junior president Mabel Furutsuki can be reached at “[email protected]”.