Police department releases mobile app

The thumbnail of the PAPD mobile app released on Tuesday. Photo taken from the press release.
The thumbnail of the Palo Alto Police Department mobile application released on Tuesday. Photo taken from the press release.

A new mobile application by the Palo Alto Police Department is now available after its release on April 15 in the App Store and the Google Play store.

Called ‘Palo Alto Police Department Mobile’, the app integrates the various features offered online by PAPD all into one utility. It allows easy access to the latest news, crime maps and urgent alerts, which the users may receive via push notifications according to the press release issued by the PAPD.

“This app is a one-stop shop for information from our Department,” PAPD Chief Dennis Burns said. “It’s another way for us to be as transparent as we can, and it gives us another method to put news and critical public safety updates right into the hands of anyone who may want it.”

Sunnyvale-based software company MobilePD developed the app with the hope of bringing the community closer together with the police department.

“We are excited to play a role in connecting the Palo Alto community with their police department,” MobilePD Chief Executive Officer Kushyar Kasraie said. “We believe that applications like this build bridges between people and their local government.”

Lieutenant Zachary Perron, PAPD officer and Social Media Coordinator, commented on the app’s potential to reach out further into the community, including teens.

“Almost every teenager has a smartphone, so this is a great way for younger generations to interact with the police department,” Perron said. “Our goal is to approach as many people as we can directly with no delay, and the app is just another great way to deliver the information in a timely manner.”

Free download of the app is available for iOS and Android devices.