Media arts building to be decorated with art contest winners

With the Media Arts Center construction nearing completion, the Media Arts Center Design club is holding a student art contest to decorate the reception of the building. The contest will accept all forms of visual art, and all entries are due by Apr. 7. All entries must include the themes of community, collaboration, innovation and/or multi-platform publications.
With the Media Arts Center construction nearing completion, the Media Arts Center Design club is holding a student art contest to decorate the reception of the building. The contest will accept all forms of visual art, and all entries are due by Apr. 7. All entries must include the themes of community, collaboration, innovation and/or multi-platform publications. Photo by Gavin Libbey.

The Media Art Center Interior Design Club (MAC I.D.) is running a student art contest, with the prize of having the winning works of art displayed in the new media arts building.

The MAC I.D. club is accepting all forms of media, including drawn or painted art, sculpture, photography and glass blowing. The art must feature one of or all of the following themes: community, collaboration, innovation and multi-platform publications.

“We selected the themes for the contest by taking them from the main concepts surrounding the Media Art Center,” junior Claire Priestley, president of the MAC I.D. club, said.

The contest entries were originally due Monday, March 24, but Priestly says the MAC I.D. club is extending the due date to Monday, April 7 to get more submissions. This gives students Spring Break to work on their art.

The art will be judged by a panel of students in the MAC I.D. club.

“We are planning on having the club members participate in an anonymous vote to decide on the top four to eight participants,” Priestley said. Priestley added that neither she nor the vice-president, treasurer and secretary would partake in the vote.

According to Preistley, the art will be judged on “how well the student incorporates the themes, how clear the messages is, and how creative and original the interpretation is.”

Eight winners will be picked to have their art displayed and four extra pieces will be randomly selected from the rest of the participants. The work will be shown in the reception on the Media Arts Building.

The MAC I.D. club hopes to add more student elements to the Media Arts Center in the future, according to Preistley.

“[In] the future we hope to host events such as a student run fashion show or other events to help bring in money for the club and any other activities we hope to host,” Preistley said. “[We] want to be the club with the largest student voice hosting events, exhibits, and making sure the building continues to serve the Students of this high school.”

There will be other small prizes for participating.

“Having your art placed in the new building seems like a prize on its own,” Priestley said.