Preview: Girls’ soccer to play Los Gatos in CCS semifinals

To determine who will make it to the Central Coast Section finals, the Palo Alto High School girls’ soccer team (10-4-5) will play Los Gatos High School (9-4-5) in the CCS semifinals tomorrow at Westmont High School.

Los Gatos and Paly have faced off twice this year, with Paly losing the first time 0-2 and tying in their most recent game 2-2. Paly’s head coach Kurt Devlin says the Vikings’ past loss and tie will motivate the team to win Wednesday.

“We know them fairly well,” Devlin said. “So the girls should have some motivation because we haven’t beaten them yet, and we probably should have, so it should make for a good contest.”

The Vikings advanced to the semifinals after defeating Alisal High School (13-4-1) 2-1 in penalty kicks. The team has been practicing penalty kicks these past few weeks in preparation for playoffs, according to Devlin, and last Saturday it payed off.

“Coach Eric [Seedman] had the team prepared for PKs [penalty kicks],” Devlin said. “That was the difference in the game. He harped on us all this week, making sure we practiced and today it paid off. “

One of the Vikings’ only downsides in the last game, according to both Devlin and assistant coach Eric Seedman, was their inability to finish.

“We had a number of chances to score,” Seedman said. “We just didn’t. I mean if we’re really on we have five points, just on the number of chances we had.”

The two coaches plan on preparing for tomorrow’s game the same way they prepared for Saturday’s.

“A lot more of the same,” Seedman said. “Just keep doing what we’ve been doing.”

The Vikings will play the Wildcats at 7 p.m. tomorrow at Westmont High School in Campbell.