Masquerade themed winter dance to be held this Friday

The Associated Student Body is at it again, this time with a winter dance. But it’s not just any winter dance; this year, the dance requires students to don a certain attire…masks. The Palo Alto High School masquerade-themed winter dance will take place at 7:00 p.m. Friday in the Small Gym.

The recommended attire is the same as it was for Homecoming earlier this school year: boys should wear slacks, button-ups and ties while girls should wear a dress or semi-formal clothing.

Although they allow dates, ASB aims to create a dance that is enjoyable with or without a one.

“You don’t have to have a date,” ASB dance commissioner Jack Anderson said. “You can go on your own if you want to.”

Along with the formal clothing, students are encouraged to wear masks. The masks can either be made and brought to the dance, or students can also purchase masks from ASB, according to Student Activities Director Matt Hall.

“[ASB] would like to encourage people to bring their own [masks],” Hall said. “We’ll be selling masks and giving out masks [too].”

During homecoming, ASB served ice cream sandwiches catered by CREAM. For the masquerade ball, ASB is planning to make it more like a carnival, according to Anderson.

“We’re going to have potentially some carnival games and popcorn and maybe some candy,” Anderson said.

Originally on the school calendar, there was not supposed to be a winter dance. Since the turnout for Homecoming was better than expected, ASB has decided to put on another dance, according to Hall.

“In previous years people didn’t want dances so we did not schedule them,” Hall said. “Due to the fact that the turnout for homecoming was so large and the response was so positive and the people were asking us to do it.”