Preview: Girls’ soccer to kick off league season with game against Los Altos

After tying Santa Clara High School (2-2-1) 1-1 in its last non-league game on Friday, the Palo Alto High School girls’ soccer team (3-2-1) will begin its league season with a game against Los Altos High School (2-2-1) at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow at Paly’s El Camino Field.

Paly sophomore and forward Nika Woodfill notes some of the areas that the team needs to improve on to succeed in the game tomorrow and all league games in the future.

“We’ve had some trouble finishing,” Woodfill said. “We need to work on that, and just work together more.”

Last year, the two teams did not play each other, as Paly was placed in the El Camino League after a losing 2011-12 season. Their recent promotion back up to the De Anza League sets the stage for the team to face their old opponents, who they tied twice back in 2012.

Paly sophomore midfielder Ansley Queen will be playing soccer in the De Anza League for the first time this year, meaning this will also be her first time facing Los Altos.

“It’s going to be more competitive and be more at the level of play that we are striving for,” Queen said. “We’ll have to work hard, but I think we can pull it off.”

Last season, the team won the El Camino League, but was disqualified during the Central Coast Section playoffs due to player eligibility issues. Queen hopes this game will start the team off on their journey back to CCS.

“[We want to] make it to CCS and try our best,” Queen said. “There’s nothing more we can do than our best.”