Girls soccer team heads back up to the De Anza League

The Palo Alto High School girls’ soccer team is heading back up to the De Anza League for the 2013-2014 season.

After a losing 2011-2012 season, the Vikings were demoted from the more competitive De Anza League to the less competitive El Camino League. After going (9-2-1) to win the league, Paly is making the move back up to the DAL this year.

Assistant Coach Eric Seedman does not believe the more competitive league will stop the team from excelling.

“[Our] goals remain the same,” Seedman said. “Our goals are No. 1, to win the league and [our] second goal is to get into CCS and to get as far as we can in the CCS playoff.”

Junior midfielder Katie Foug has similar goals.

“[We want] to make CCS again and maybe improve or do better than we did last year,” Foug said.

Last year, Paly’s Central Coast Section championship hopes came to an abrupt stop after eligibility issues made them forfeit a CCS match.

“We always try to avoid those kinds of problems, where we got caught in the situation last year,” Seedman said. “We assumed that a competition that one of our players had that was previously approved, that it would be approved again.”

This year the Paly team is shaping up, with a large number of upperclassmen, supplemented by support from returning sophomores and new freshmen. In total, the team has five seniors, nine juniors, nine sophomores and four freshmen.

Foug, who started playing for Paly’s varsity team freshman year, notes the additional underclassmen this year.

“We have a couple freshman on our team so hopefully they’ll be able to contribute,” Foug said. “I think they’re good additions.”

This year, the Vikings have four possible goalies. In the past, the varsity team has had two goalies, with one acting as the main goalie.

Seedman notes that junior goalie Megan Valencia is currently out with a concussion, and it is possible she will not be playing this season, and transfer sophomore Kelly Branson will be ineligible for games until January due to paperwork.

“We’ve got two players up from JV: Sarah Lim and Megan Valencia,” Seedman said. “We’ve got two younger players, Dara Yu, and another one is a sophomore transfer named Kelly Branson, and she looks good, too. Any of them is going to be able to do the job well.”

The Vikings will play the Carlmont High School Scots at 4 p.m. Monday, Dec. 2, at Carlmont.