Girls’ basketball pumping up for season

Coming off of a learning season last year, the Palo Alto High School girls’ basketball team is revving up for the 2013-14 season, starting with its first non-league game 4 p.m. Tuesday against Westmont High School in the Big Gym.

“After a few weeks of practice I can say that I look forward to going to war with this team for every single game we are going to play,” Viking coach Scott Peters said. “This is a special group of players who, if they decide to come together and sacrifice for each other, will be very successful.”

Losing just three seniors from last season, the team is returning core players. They are coming into the season with a positive attitude and are hoping to build from last year.

“Last year was a great learning year and will help us to be tougher and stronger for this year,” Peters said.

Last year the Vikings were 9-14 overall and 5-7 in league. The team struggled mentally during tough games last year and are hoping to fix the problem this year by increasing their energy, according to sophomore Maddy Atwater.

Senior Charlotte Alipate echoed Atwater’s sentiments.

“Last year we did not make it as far as we wanted to, but it is a new season and I’m just hoping we can really show out and make this season a great, long-lasting one,” she said.

The team’s aspirations for the season include working on team chemistry and being competitive, according to Peters.

“Our goals this year are: work to be a team. Win league, win CCS and compete for the state title,” Peters said.

Atwater is feeling good about the team this season.

“We have set high hopes for the season … and feel very confident going into games,” Atwater said.

The team is aiming high, with aspirations to do well in league and later compete for the CCS title.

“I think the main goal is to finish the season with a winning record and hopefully grab a CCS title. CCS is the dream and I think we have the surprise firepower to do it,” sophomore Siggi Bengston said.

The roster will not be complete until all of the fall sports seasons end, but as of right now, there are only two upperclassmen poised to play this season. Unfortunately, both of these returning seniors, Hope Crockett and Charlotte Alipate, have torn their anterior cruciate ligament. Despite the setbacks for these two seniors, they are staying positive and showing tenacity. Alipate, who tore her ACL in the first week of practice this year, will be out for the season but plans to cheer on her teammates. Crockett, who tore her ACL last year, is currently in rehab and is working towards being able to play later this season.

“You never think something like this would ever happen to you, until it happens,” Alipate said. “This definitely has its impact on the team, but I know for sure that I can count on my teammates to ball out for me and play through challenges. I’m out for the season, which is really hard for me, but I’m doing all I can to support and be there for the team. I just remind myself daily that this is only a minor setback for a major comeback.”

Peters thinks Alipate and Crockett will still play an important role on the team despite their injuries.

“Charlotte will be a big part of the team even though she can’t play this year,” Peters said. “Hope is working extremely hard to come back this year as well.”

This young team will face a test of character this season and are expected to be an underdog in the De Anza Division of the Santa Clara Valley Athletic League, according to Bengston.

“We are young but we have a lot of talent and [our setbacks are] only making us stronger,” Atwater said. “We are all out there playing for each other and each year will only get better.”

The team is hoping to build a strong tradition of pride and support for the 2013-2014 team in their creation of “PALY NATION“. They will sell shirts with the Paly Nation logo on them with all proceeds going to the girls’ basketball program.

“We decided that it’d be a great idea to start a Paly Nation movement as part of our 6th man movement and to really get the school and Palo Alto community involved,” Alipate said.

The Vikings first league game will be 7 p.m. Dec. 2 at Cupertino High School.