Thanksgiving feast set for Friday

Palo Alto High School’s ninth annual Turkey Trot Thanksgiving meal and the accompanying Paly Jazz Band performance will take place during an extended lunch tomorrow on the Quad.

The Parent Teacher Student Association is sponsoring the event to raise funds and canned food for the Ecumenical Hunger Program and Opportunity Center. Similar to past years, students and staff will be serving roasted turkey, stuffing, gravy, tossed salad, cranberry sauce and pie. Baked potatoes will be provided as a vegetarian option.

In return for the meal, the PTSA will be asking for a donation of three cans of food along with $2 or $5 without cans of food.  According to an informational flyer sent out by the Paly administration, credit or debit cards will not be accepted.

Last year, the Turkey Trot raised several thousand dollars and four full bins of canned food goods for the program. According to Mego Tracy, a member of the PTSA in charge of coordinating the event, volunteers are planning on feeding 1440 people tomorrow. This is made possible by 105 parents expected to volunteer on the day of the event and an additional 45 parents expected to donate money and supplies. Donations from parents will go toward the purchases of salad from Piazza’s grocery store and stuffing from Marie Calendar’s, she said.

According to senior Joe Kelmon, the Turkey Trot has always been an event where people can come together as a community and enjoy good food.

“I think the Turkey Trot is a good place for everyone to bring their positive energy,” Kelmon said. “I’m really into cranberry sauce, so I’ll be there.”

For more information about tomorrow’s meal, click here.