Volleyball preview: Vikings to take on Los Gatos in last league game

The Palo Alto High School girls’ volleyball team (8-3) takes on the Los Gatos Wildcats (5-6) for their last league game at 6:45 p.m. tonight at the Los Gatos High School gym.

The Vikings defeated the Wildcats in a close five set victory in their last encounter in September.

Energy will be the key to success tonight, according to junior defensive specialist Courtney Hartwell.

“I think that we are definitely prepared to take on Los Gatos,” Hartwell said. “We won in five games last time, so tonight we really have to bring the energy and focus to win again.”

This is the last league game of the season for the Vikings before the Central Coast Section playoffs. Both teams will likely be continuing to CCS but this game determines the seeds that the teams will start off in for the playoffs. The Vikes hope to do well in this game, which will get them off to a stronger start in the CCS playoffs, according to Hartwell.

“Even though it’s our last league game, I am really looking forward to CCS next week,” Hartwell said.

The Paly volleyball team fought for the CCS title last year but fell in the semifinals against Homestead.

“I just hope that when we get to CCS, we can stay strong and play our best so we can go far,” Hartwell said.

Paly’s first CCS round opponent has not been determined yet but the playoffs start on Wednesday, Nov. 13.