Where Are They Now: Melanie Wade

Captains (l-r) Kimmy Whitson, Maddie Kuppe, and Melanie Wade celebrate a second straight CCS title after defeating Menlo-Atherton High School in straight sets.
Captains (left-right) Kimmy Whitson, Maddie Kuppe, and Melanie Wade celebrate a second straight CCS title after defeating Menlo-Atherton High School in straight sets. 

Two high school state championships. A PrepVolleyball.com top-20 college volleyball recruit in the nation. An ESPNHS 2011 First Team All-American. United States Junior national team player.

Melanie Wade, who graduated from Palo Alto High School in 2011, was a star contributor to the success of the Paly volleyball team. She now attends the University of Washington on a full athletic scholarship.

The Washington women’s volleyball team started the current volleyball season off very strong, holding the third spot in the American Volleyball Coaches Association top-25 poll for the week of Oct. 21. In the team’s most recent game, the Huskies played Stanford to secure the win after five sets. Wade finished the game with seven kills, four blocks, and a .222 attack percentage. The game brought up Washington, now fourth in the nation, to a record of 15-1 and Pac-12 league record of 7-1.

With all this said, we caught up with Wade to find out about the continuation of her volleyball career at the collegiate level.

Melanie Wade: We are still at the beginning of Pac-12 play. At this point we are working on our consistency. When we play our game for long periods of time we can be really good.

The Paly Voice: What major differences are there between college and high school volleyball?

MW: Being a college athlete is a huge time commitment. You are expected to excel on and off the court all the time. Also, you are playing with and against amazing athletes every single day.

TPV: Do you have any advice for current Paly players?

MW: You have to be ready to compete every day. There are no off days. Remember to enjoy playing. It is an opportunity to work hard, get better and build relationships. Spend time with your teammates and really get to know them. The relationships you build will be the most memorable part of high school.

TPV: What is one thing you miss most about Paly?

MW: I miss being able to see my friends and teammates every day.

TPV: Where do you see your volleyball career headed?

MW: After college I hope to play professionally overseas. It would be awesome to learn about a different culture and play volleyball.