Volleyball Preview: Dig Pink volleyball rally to raise funds for breast cancer awareness

The second annual Dink Pink Charity event will take place tomorrow as the Palo Alto High School girls volleyball team (13-4, 3-1) takes on the Los Altos Eagles (15-2, 4-0) at 6:45 p.m. at Los Altos High School.

Paly and Los Altos will be two of 1,500 college, high school and middle school teams across the country that will “dig pink” in support of cancer patients and their families during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Both teams are supporting the Side-Out Foundation, a nonprofit established in 2004 with goals aimed at rasing money and awareness for cancer through volleyball. Through the Side-Out Foundation, all funds raised will be contributed to organizations that serve breast cancer patients in the areas of research, medical services or compassionate support, according to a statement released by event coordinator Liz Raffel.

At last year’s event, the two teams were able to make more than $2400 combined..

Admission is free, and fans are asked to show their support by wearing pink to make it a “pink out.” T-shirts and baked goods will also be available for sale, according to the press release.

Senior libero Keri Gee is excited for the matchup against the De Anza Division rival.

“Last night they beat Homestead, who we lost to in 5 [sets], so it’s going to be a really good game,” Gee said. “I know they’re going to bring their A game and will want to beat us, but as long as we push back harder I think we could pull out a win.”

Junior outside hitter Jade Schoenberger is also looking forward to a great matchup.

“We have a great defense this year so if people make pledges for every dig then we should raise a lot of money,” Schoenberger said. “It’s a night I really look forward to.”

Fans have the choice of making a flat donation or pledge-per-dig donations during the match. They can also pledge an amount per total digs between the two teams.

To donate or for more information on the organization, click here.