Tin Pot: an expensive dream

If you haven’t checked out Tin Pot Creamery, you’re missing out. Tin Pot is a specialty ice cream store that recently joined the Town and Country community, and I’ve got to say, it might be the best ice cream I’ve ever had.

Different flavors of ice cream bought from Tin Pot Creamery. (Clockwise from top left) Blackberry Lime Sorbet, Lavender with Blueberry Swirl, Sweet Cream with Honey Balsamic Swirl and Earl Grey Tea, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Four Barrel Coffee with Cocoa Nib Toffee. Photo by Julia Asin.

Tin Pot has a wide variety of organic gourmet flavors with names ranging from “Roasted Banana Fudge Ripple” to “Blackberry Lime Sorbet” to “Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk”. “Four Barrel Coffee with Cocoa Nib Toffee” is my go-to ice cream choice, as it blends different aspects of coffee flavor perfectly with small pieces of toffee.

Some other standouts are “Sweet Cream with Honey Balsamic Swirl”, which despite its odd name is actually quite good, as the tartness of the balsamic nicely balances out the sweet and rich consistency of the cream. Other greats include “Blackberry Lime Sorbet”, which was described to me as if “Jamba Juice smoothies died, went to heaven, and had a love child with Ben and Jerry’s.”

The only issue with Tin Pot is its pricing. A single scoop of ice cream costs $3.25, while two scoops cost $4 and three scoops cost $5.50. Getting your ice cream in a cone instead of a cup costs an extra dollar.

If you feel that your already-over-priced-scoop-of-heaven needs a little something extra, toppings and sauces (eg: almond toffee, brownie crumbles, hot fudge, berry compote) are $0.75 each. This might be a little more than the average Paly student can splurge on a regular basis, but I don’t know that many high school students who get ice cream on a regular basis anyways.

The deliciousness however, goes beyond the issue of cost, especially considering that Tin Pot is a small business that hand-crafts its own ice cream. For more detail on how each individual ice cream flavor is made, you can check out Tin Pot’s blog at http://www.tinpotcreamery.com/blog/.

If ice cream is too boring for you, Tin Pot also offers an array of other delicious treats. Some highlights are the Tin Pot Sundae ($7), the Chocolate Caramel Pecan Sundae ($7.75), and the banana split ($8.50). Cookies such as Chocolate Chunk with Sea Salt and Sweet Corn are $2.50.

So yes, Tin Pot may be a little pricey, but for the quality and deliciousness of the ice cream, it is well worth the cost. If after going to Tin Pot the only words you find yourself able to say for the next few minutes are, “Oh my God, it’s so good, oh my God,” don’t worry — it’s totally normal.