Game show themed rally set for Friday

Palo Alto High School’s first rally of the year, combining a cheer performance and contests based on the television show “Minute to Win It,” will take place during lunch on Friday, Aug. 23 on the Quad.

The rally, hosted by the Associated Student Body officers, will have a different feel from previous years. According to Student Activities Director Matt Hall, the event will feature two main acts.

The first act will be a performance by the Paly cheerleaders.

“[There] will be a performance by cheer, which is kind of a traditional performance they usually perform at the Friday Rally,” Hall said. “[The cheerleaders] are going to give us their usual one or two minute show.”

The second half of the rally will feature various student activities like it has in past years. However, this year’s games will be different than in years past.

“This year our goal is to have games that we can include more people in,” Hall said.

Instead of the sponge relay and individual games popular in past years, ASB will be introducing three games based on the NBC television series “Minute to Win It.” These games will require more people to participate and hopefully enhance the student experience at the rally, according to Hall.

The first game that will be featured is “Junk in the Trunk.” Students will have tissue boxes full of ping pong balls strapped to their back, with the goal of shaking hard enough that all of the balls come out. The person who can shed the most balls wins the contest.

Next up will be the “Mummy Wrap,” where students will work in pairs and attempt to wrap each other in toilet paper. If the toilet paper breaks in the process, they must start over.

The final event of the rally will be the “Oreo.” Students will place an Oreo cookie on their forehead and try to get it into their mouth without using their hands. If they Oreo falls, they must start over.

The rally will run from the beginning of lunch to the first bell.