Lacrosse takes down Carlmont in SCVAL quarterfinals

Paige Bara Lacrosse
The varsity boys’ lacrosse team storms the field after a win over Carlmont High School in the SCVAL quarterfinals Monday night. The Vikings triumphed by a score of 12-5, keeping their dreams of winning the championship alive.

The varsity boys’ lacrosse team dominated all over the field to defeat the Carlmont Scots, 12-5, in the SCVAL quarterfinals Monday night at Palo Alto High School.

The team started off quickly by scoring in the first minute off an assist from senior Logan Mendenhall to senior Walker Mees. A goal by junior Jordan Gans gave the Vikings a 2-0 lead. Scores by both teams would end the quarter 3-1, Vikings.

Junior defenseman James Harrison contributed strong play in the second quarter when he cleared the ball from his position on defense all the way up the field to score for the Vikings.

By halftime, Palo Alto was up 5-3 hoping to stay in the lead for the rest of the game.

Freshman goalie Quintin Valenti played through the first half to be replaced by senior goalie Andre Koucheckey for the second half.

Palo Alto defense clamped down in the second half, giving up only two goals and leading to a triumphant win by a score of 12-5. The defense was led by seniors Scotty Bara, Tyler Valenti and Will Dwight, along with strong play by Harrison. Junior Tully McCallister ended the game with four goals and an assist.

Prior to this game, the Paly boys ended their league season strongly by defeating Los Gatos and the previously undefeated Menlo-Atherton.

The Vikings will next take on the Sacred Heart Prep Gators to determine who will be advancing to the finals. The Vikings previous game against the Gators ended with a disappointing loss of 11-12. Given that SCVAL playoffs are singe-elimination, there will be extra pressure on the team to win.

“Playing Carlmont was a good practice for our big game against Sacred Heart Prep on Wednesday for the SCVAL league,” senior defenseman Scotty Bara said.

The SCVAL semi-finals will take place at 4 p.m. Wednesday May 8 at Sacred Heart Preparatory.