Media Arts Boosters to implement pavers project

The Palo Alto High School community will have the opportunity to buy customized pavers to raise money for the Media Arts programs, according to the co-chairs of the Media Arts Boosters, Debbie Crouch and Carol Chalmers.

The bricks will be installed in the area surrounding the upcoming Media Arts building. They can be engraved with the names of any student, family, club, team or teacher, according to Crouch.

“It’s a great opportunity for graduating seniors to leave a legacy, especially the ones who were involved in the Media Arts programs and have watched the buildings go up and wanted to be a part of that,” Crouch said.

The goal of this project is to provide funds for the Media Arts programs at Paly, according to Chalmers.

“We saw this as a great opportunity to raise a fair amount of money, to enhance the experience for the landscaping and classrooms and to provide a way for us to kickstart our booster program,” Chalmers said.

Crouch predicted that this project will greatly benefit the Media Arts program and the Paly community.

“The new buildings on campus are going to be fantastic and we want to encourage the Paly community to get involved in leaving their mark and being a part of it,” Crouch said. “It could be a program that could define Paly in the future.”

Chalmers agreed that the outlook for the pavers project is bright.

“If you look at other pavers or brick campaigns done in our community, whether it’s the Children’s Library or the Paly pool, they’re usually very successful,” Chalmers said.

An anonymous donor recently provided funding to install pavers outside the new Media Arts and classroom buildings, according to Chalmers. Because of the donation, Paly only needs to pay for the engraving cost, and the rest of the money from the project will go to the Media Arts boosters program.

“if there had not been a donor, we would have moved forward anyway,” Chalmers said. “But we would have had a little bit less money to go back to the program. This way, a substantial portion of the cost of having to buy the pavers themselves has already been taken care of.”

Pavers will come in three sizes. Pledge forms are currently available on the Paly Voice.

Forms will also be distributed in Paly’s print publications at graduation, in emails to parents of students involved in the Media Arts program and in the back-to-school packet to be distributed at the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year.

By the beginning of the next school year, pavers will be available for ordering on the Media Arts Boosters Facebook page, the Paly homepage, the Paly Link and the Viking Shoppe.