Panel of alumni, seniors to discuss summer opportunities

A panel of Palo Alto High School alumni and current seniors will speak on the various summer opportunities available to high school students at an event during Advisory on Thursday in P-1.

The panel will examine a diverse amount of topics, as each panel member brings a different perspective on summer activities, according to event planner and CompassPoint branch leader senior Julia Lee.

“Each person has something unique to share,” Lee said. “One participated in a volunteer program abroad, another took advantage of science research opportunities over the summer and another was a part of pre-college summer program at her dream college.”

Along with personal presentations from the panel members, the event will include a presentation and question segment.

“The event also consists of a short presentation which will consist of tips and ideas about researching one’s own unique summer opportunities,” Lee said. “There will be some time for the attendants to form into small groups, each led by a panelist, where the students will be able to ask questions and talk more in-depth about each panelist’s summer experience.”

Lee believes that Paly students will gain knowledge about subjects not often touched on in school by taking advantage of summer programs.

“I think that all high school students are looking for something to do over the summer, but specifically the kind of experience that will help them mature and learn in ways that they wouldn’t expect to at school,” Lee said.

The event is put on by the Palo Alto High School branch of CompassPoint, an organization aimed at creating leaders by connecting high schools and colleges across the nation.

“CompassPoint is a national organization that promotes mentorship between college students and high school students,” Lee said. “Many high school students need guidance through their four years, and CompassPoint mentors focus on helping them through the college process, as well as being an older friend to whom these high school students can talk to and seek advice from.”

Additional information is available on the event Facebook page.

View Comments (1)
Addie McNamara, Author
Phoebe So, Author

• J

Jenny HongApr 18, 2013 at 12:04 am

Correction: The CompassPoint web page is actually cpmentorship.com, not compasspoint.org

Thanks and looking forward! 🙂

Reply