Additional student parking to be added

The basketball hoops outside the gym are going to be converted into parking lots due to increased demand. [Photo: Amanda Carlsson]
The basketball hoops outside the gym are going to be converted into parking lots due to increased demand. Photo by Amanda Carlsson.
Palo Alto High School is adding much-needed parking spots for teachers and students.

The new parking lot will be located where the current outdoor basketball courts are, between the Big Gym and the baseball field, according to Assistant Principal Kimberly Diorio.

“Since nobody used the basketball hoops outside the gym I was thinking we could convert that into a parking lot,” Diorio said.

Plans were made before spring break to start the project but the courts remained unpainted after the vacation according to Diorio.

“I asked maintenance to have the lines painted by the end of break, but they never got around to it,” Diorio said.

Construction for the new Media Arts Center and math building has taken over part of the El Camino parking lot, limiting the number of staff and student parking spaces available. Due to the lack of parking spots, many students have unknowingly parked illegally due to the removal of signage and been ticketed next to the baseball field, according to Diorio.

“I think that we shouldn’t be punished for parking somewhere that has poor signage,” junior Becca Althoff said. “It’s also unfair that we are hardly able to contest the ticket because it’s the city issuing the tickets.”

Even staff has found the situation problematic.

“Students shouldn’t have to compromise their parking spots with the staff,” said Carolyn Benfield, assistant to the principal.

View Comments (1)
Amanda Carlsson, Author

• J

Jonathan FridussApr 21, 2013 at 8:20 pm

PALY should use this opportunity to stop allowing students to drive to school besides those that live far away or have to cross major streets.

Reply