INfocus postpones live broadcasts until further notice

INfocus staff members produce videos for broadcasting. The staff, however, will no longer air their live broadcasts and switch over to reading the bulletin over the PA system to deliver the news to all classrooms. Photo courtesy of Ethan Cohen.

After struggling to reach classrooms, the INfocus staff will swap live video broadcasts for announcements over the public announcement system until further notice, according to senior Executive Producer Ethan Cohen.

During the last five minutes of third and fourth period, instead of the usual video announcements, INfocus anchors will read their scripts over the PA system in order to deliver the news via the Daily Bulletin to all Palo Alto High School classrooms.

Cohen said that discussion started between the INfocus staff, Ed Council and Principal Phil Winston after Winston brought a suggested plan to the table.

“Due to a lack of teachers turning on their TV’s for INfocus on a regular basis, Mr. Winston and Ed Council feel that there is a problem with communication of the bulletin and other important information to the Paly community,” Cohen wrote in a statement to The Paly Voice . “As a result of this, INfocus anchors will be reading their scripts over the PA system until we can ensure that our live broadcasts reach every classroom.”

Students, like junior Jared Filseth, corroborate the administration’s concerns that INfocus is not always being watched. Filseth said that while some of his teachers do turn on the broadcasts, others don’t.

Senior Robert Lee also found problems with reaching INfocus broadcasts, saying, “My teachers try to show INfocus, but about half the time, the website or television doesn’t work, and so they are forced to read the bulletin themselves.”

Although Cohen is not sure when INfocus will begin live video broadcasts again, he said that the staff will be checking classrooms during the time the announcements are being read to make sure the broadcasting system functions for when INfocus returns to live media broadcasts.

Cohen added that INfocus, while disappointed with the situation, looks to make the best of the it.

“Although INfocus will not be airing a live show for the foreseeable future, we are still fully committed to providing this campus and community with a reliable, informative and entertaining daily broadcast,” Cohen wrote.

INfocus plans to continue taping the daily video broadcasts, which will be uploaded onto the INfocus YouTube channel and soon, Cohen said, the Palo Alto High School homepage.