'Twas a loud night

Passion Pit performs live at Not So Silent Night. Photo by Levi Schoeben

A multitude of Palo Alto High School students attended the all-star music concert Not So Silent Night last weekend. The concert featured Jack White, the Shins, Metric, Of Monsters and Men, the Gaslight Anthem and Two Door Cinema Club on Nov. 7, and The Killers, M83, Passion Pit, Tegan and Sara, Grouplove, and Imagine Dragons on Nov.8.

Paly Students were generally pleased with the concert and offered up their favorite band members and some criticism.

“It was really fun,” junior Josh Totte said. Tough to pick a favorite band, they all were great, but The Killers stood out because their encore was dope.”

The Killers were regarded as the main show of the night, and were a major source of attraction to the event as a whole.

Other juniors offered a more critical analysis of the concert as a whole.

“I thought it was really fun,” junior Lande Watson said. “It did kind of suck though, because all of the acts were so short and you could tell they were only performing their most famous songs. But it was still awesome. Passion Pit, Grouplove and The Killers were my favorite performances. I’m not a huge fan of Tegan and Sara but they were okay.”

Despite the lack of playtime for many of these bands, the concert lasted for approximately six hours. Others were less taken with the concert as a whole, but enjoyed specific bands thoroughly.

“Yeah I was really surprised at how f***ing incredible Grouplove’s performance was and I thought m83 put on an awesome show too,” senior Josh Stabinsky said.”I fell asleep during that human dancer song by the killers though.”

Junior Kate Marinkovich was pleased with the performances that the band put up, but was disappointed with the choice of venue.

“As a whole, Not so Silent Night was alright,” junior Kate Marinkovich said.”In my opinion Oracle was the wrong type of venue for this kind of music. If the show had been at Shoreline I would have enjoyed it much more; laying on the grass seems much more ideal than standing in a hot arena for 6 hours. Although I understand its cold and an outside show may not have been the best. As for the music, it was fantastic. Passion Pit was hands down my favorite performer, next being The Killers, and then M83.”

Not So Silent Night featured bands of multiple genres but all shared one thing in common, high expectations for a great performance, and these expectations were met.