Students invited to community service award ceremony

Palo Alto High School students, their families and friends are invited to the President’s Volunteer Service Award during lunch Friday, Dec. 7 at the Haymarket Theater.

Michael Milliken, director of secondary education for Palo Alto Unified School District, will talk about the 41 developmental assets for youth development and how community engagement ties into nine of those assets, according to Career and Community Engagement Advisor Christina Owen.

Owen added that she, Principal Phil Winston and multiple parent volunteers from the College and Career Center will present awards to 194 students for the fall ceremony.

“We usually give out 250-300 awards each year,” Owen said. “Our students document about 45,000 hours of community service each year whether for the award or for transcript recognition. Our students do volunteer work in more than 150 various organizations in the local, national, and international communities.”

Students can be seen volunteering online in the Paly Service Day Documentary and the Palo Alto Online’s VolunTEENs videos.

The program for the President’s Volunteer Service Award lists the recipients of the award by bronze, silver and gold categories and by class.

Subway sandwiches will be provided to award recipients, and snacks will be available for other guests.