Steal a base, steal a taco

Taco Bell’s Doritos Locos Taco and its receipt showing $0.00. As a result of Giants’ outfielder Angel Pagan’s stolen base in Game 2 of the World Series, Taco Bell gave out free tacos from 2-6 p.m. on Oct. 30. [Photo by Levi Schoeben]
What could make a second World Series title even better for San Francisco Giants fans? Taco Bell had the answer. Or rather, Giants’ outfielder Angel Pagan did.

While Giants fans cheered their team on to a second World Series title in the last three years, people around the country cheered on Pagan as he slid into second during Game 2 of the World Series. One stolen base for the Giants – one free Doritos Locos Taco for everybody else.

Leading up to the World Series, Taco Bell launched its “steal a base, steal a taco” campaign comercial stating that if any player in the World Series stole a base, it would give every person in America free Doritos Locos Tacos. On Tuesday Oct. 30, Taco Bell kept its promise.

From 2-6 p.m. Taco Bell locations around the country handed out free Doritos Locos Tacos. In Redwood City, Pagan himself took part in handing out the fruits of his labor, and many Palo Alto High School students, like millions of other hungry fans, were eager to get theirs.

Paly students traveled to local Taco Bells to receive a quick free taco. Among them was junior Will Mendenhall.

“I’ve been to Taco Bell probably five times in the last few weeks, and when I heard that they [Taco Bell] were giving out their Doritos tacos I had to stop by and try it,” Mendenhall said.

Other Paly students were clearly thinking along the same lines. Mendenhall ran into seniors Quinn Rockwell, Nolan Perla-Ward, Brent Schroder and several other Paly students at Taco Bell’s East Palo Alto location.

“Its the best ground meat wrapped in processed cheese I’ve ever eaten,” Schroder said.

While not everyone can have a World Series winning team, thanks to Angel Pagan and Taco Bell, everyone could have a free taco.

View Comments (1)
Jack Shapiro, Author
Levi Schoeben, Author

• C

Charlie MuscleNov 5, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Great journalism. Way to tackle the tough topics…

Reply