Spirit Week to kick off Monday

Jack Shapiro, Author

Spirit Week at Palo Alto High School is set to kick off tomorrow as each class will dress up according to its self-chosen theme.

The themes are:

– Freshmen: Finding Nemo

– Sophomores: Red Carpet

– Juniors: Royalty

– Seniors: 90’s

This Paly tradition has been refocused this year, however, with an emphasis on making it a fairer competition following last year’s controversy, according to senior Spirit Week Commissioner Sophie Parker.

“We’re changing the judging system so it [Spirit Week] is not going to be rigged and any grade has a chance to win,” Parker said.

The Associated Student Body hopes that this will especially encourage younger grades to compete their hardest, according to Parker.

“I think that people will be a lot more interested because even especially the younger grades will think they have a chance to win and try their hardest,” Parker said.

The school-wide competition kicks off at lunch with a rally that will include musical chairs. A total of 600 points are up for grabs, with the competition worth 400 and best-dressed worth 200 points.

For a preview of the entire week with each class’ theme for each day, click here.

Make The Paly Voice your No. 1 source for all things Spirit Week. Check back all week long for coverage, including recaps, slideshows, video highlights and more!