Choir to perform at Stanford church service

Concert Choir, Spectrum Singers and Madrigals will perform a joint concert at 9 p.m. this evening to sing at Compline, an open service featuring both local and Stanford choirs held weekly at Stanford’s Memorial Church.

“It’s a non-denominational service that we sing at,” choir member Sarah Ohlson, a junior, said. “You [the audience] just go in at night, and you sit in the pews, and you just listen.”

The annual performance kicks off the season for Palo Alto High School’s choir, which has been preparing the songs for the service.

“We’re singing a couple of movements from Haydn’s Mass, and then we’re also singing a spiritual called ‘I Can Tell the World,'” Ohlson said. “We’re also singing a couple of rounds.”

The Paly choir is just one of many vocal groups to perform at Sunday Compline services. The candlelit service prides itself on featuring a different choir every week. This is, however, the first service of Stanford University’s fall quarter.

Compline provides Stanford students, as well as the public, with the opportunity to take an evening to sit, listen to choral music and reflect on themselves. Though not affiliated with any religion, the services focus on getting in touch with oneself and embracing the tranquility provided by candles and hymns.

Compline welcomes the public, and encourages everyone to attend the nine o’clock service and show support for the Paly choir.

For more information, visit here.