Paly set to debut new football stadium

The new arch and snack shack as depicted in a February 2011 report. The arch, snack shack, and new permanent restrooms will be debuted during this Friday’s football game, with the ornamental fence and other additions coming later in the year. Credit: 1 June 2010 BOE presentation

Palo Alto High School students will have more than just a football game to talk about come Friday.

All new facilities including a new arch and entrance, a new snack shack and permanent restrooms are set to debut when Paly takes on Archbishop Mitty High School tomorrow night, with more renovations to come in the near future.

New bleachers were set to be installed prior to the football season, but setbacks with getting approval from the Department of State Architecture  in the spring have delayed this until after the season ends, according to assistant principal Kathleen Laurence. The new home stands are projected to hold around 1600 people, according to an athletic stadium improvement report in February 2011.

The other renovations are to ultimately include new long jump pits, a new press box and filming platform, and a new picnic area under existing trees, according to a June 2010 report.

The track will also be resurfaced in the Fall after the track and field season, according to assistant principal Kimberly Diorio.

New foliage will be going up periodically throughout the football season too, according to Diorio. A line of trees will act as a shield from the corporation yard warehouse on the northeast side of the field.

The new snack shack building will sell tickets at the entrance, as well as food and Paly apparel provided by the sports boosters.

The entrance to the football field will now be through the arch, although the old entrance may remain open until the new bleachers come in, Diorio said.

The old snack shack is set to be demolished at the end of the football season as well.

Administrators are looking to eventually put in a second ticket stand on the other side of the arch.

The temporary construction fences will be replaced after the football season to accommodate a black, ornamental fence, according to Diorio.

Meanwhile, the parking lot outside of the arch will be redesigned into a drop-off loop to increase the flow of traffic dropping kids off at the arch.

The total construction cost estimation is projected at $3.5 million, according to the Feb. 2011 report.

Administrators are looking forward to the debut of the new facilities this Friday.

“We’re excited for the grand opening of the new athletic stadium tomorrow evening and hope the Paly community will come out for the big game against Mitty to see the facility first hand,” Diorio said.

Students will be privy to seeing the new snack shack, arch, and bathrooms already completed on Friday, with the other projects following the conclusion of football season. Until then, the arch stands firm in front of the football stadium as a reminder of the things to come, ushering in a new era for Paly athletics.