Sophomore hit by a car

Max Bernstein and Christina Chen

An ambulance worker straps the injured biker to a stretcher as the mother looks over. Photo by Max Bernstein.

A Palo Alto High School sophomore is currently in the hospital after a woman in a silver Honda hit him at 3:50 p.m. today at the corner of Emerson and Coleridge.

A fire engine from the Palo Alto Fire Department and a squad car from the Palo Alto Police Department arrived immediately. An ambulance arrived shortly thereafter. While the student does not seem to have sustained serious injuries, he did hit his head and is experiencing lightheadedness and dizziness, according to the firefighters at the scene. The student was wearing a helmet. An ambulance took him to a nearby hospital.

According to the police, the student was biking home and missed the stop sign at the intersection, and was then hit in the back wheel. The car suffered damage, and the student is taking fault for the accident, said a police officer on the scene.

This is the second accident of its kind to happen in several weeks.

More information to come.

UPDATE:

The student was brought to the ER at Kaiser hospital in Redwood City, and observed for several hours. He has a hairline fracture in his wrist, but otherwise not significantly harmed.

“At the stop sign I slowed down, saw the car coming, and misjudged its speed. The driver didn’t see me, so I sped up, and it hit me in the back wheel,” the student said.