Junior painting mural at garden

Callie Walker, Author

Sarah Bramlett’s mural showcases a pair of arms coming out of the ocean with a series of other doodles. [Photo Credit: Callie Walker]

After teaching junior Sarah Bramlett in her freshmen Biology class, retired TEAM Biology teacher Lynn Hori asked Bramlett to paint a mural in the Palo Alto High School garden, dedicated to Hori. Now, a year and a half later, the mural is almost done.

“At the end of freshman year … she said something along the lines of  Hey Sarah, you doodle a lot in my class, and I’m looking for someone to do a mural on our shed [at the garden], how about it?'” Bramlett said. “And that’s how it all started.”

Bramlett was initially intimidated by the prospect of creating such a big, permanent painting.

“Honestly, I just didn’t know where to start,” Bramlett said.

After asking assistant principal Jerry Berkson for permission to paint it in the middle of her sophomore year, Bramlett started priming the shed during the first week of summer and started painting the wall six weeks ago.

Bramlett has enjoyed painting the mural. “I come out on the weekends with my bike baskets full of paint cans and just keep adding to the mural bit by bit. It’s very time consuming, but completely worth it,” she said.

The mural is expected to be done in three weeks, and Bramlett can’t wait for it to be finished.

“I like to think of the mural as my gift to Paly,” Bramlett said. “It’s pretty exciting to know that I’ll be leaving something here as my legacy, even if it is just some colorful doodles on a wall. “