Alumna-led workshops to focus on professional skills

Seeing the need to balance professional development with strong academics, a former Palo Alto High School student will return this summer to host professional development workshops for local high school students.

Paly Class of 2011 graduate Shireen Jaffer, currently studying business administration at the University of Southern California, plans to offer a series of workshops that will help high school students learn the basics of professional etiquette and job skills, such as preparing a resume.

“A variety of topics will be covered,” Jaffer said. “Students will learn how to build a professional resume, how to network effectively, how to dress in different professional settings, how to behave in an interview. I want to make the workshops as interactive, applicable and fun as possible.”

Jaffer explained that the workshops — dubbed Project Suit Up! — are designed to help students apply the professional skills, not just learn them.

“For example, with regards to dining etiquette, I hope to follow the workshop with an actual dinner where students meet professionals and get the opportunity to apply both their dining skills as well as networking skills,” Jaffer said.

Workshop fees and locations are still being worked out, but Jaffer said she would work to make workshops “as affordable as possible.”

Jaffer came up with the idea for Project Suit Up! after she realized that, despite its strong academics, Paly falls short when it comes to professional development education.

“Throughout high school, there was a tremendous focus on academics but upon entering college, I realized I needed more than just my academic talents to succeed in the competitive environment,” Jaffer said. “I needed to be professional in my manner, a skill I did not completely possess as a young student. Paly has so much to offer and does a thorough job at preparing its students academically, but it — along with the majority of high schools — falls short when it comes to enlisting professional etiquette within its students.”

Jaffer added that she loves working with students and wanted to “give back” to the Paly community. After attending various career-building workshops, she was inspired to bring the concept to Palo Alto students.

“I served as a mentor and tutor throughout my high school years and as a result, discovered my passion for working with students and for improving our educational systems,” Jaffer said. “I want to bring Project Suit Up! to Palo Alto and provide students resources that can complement their academic successes and give them a competitive advantage early in their careers.”

Students interested in Project Suit Up! should contact Jaffer via email: [email protected].