Sports Recap: April 23 – 30

Center fielder B.J. Boyd watches his first inning triple hit off the right field wall as he runs down the first base line in Paly's CCS semifinal loss against Valley Christian High School.  Boyd scored the Vikings' only two runs in the game. Photo by: Matt Ersted
Center fielder B.J. Boyd watches his first inning triple hit off the right field wall as he runs down the first base line in Paly’s CCS semifinal loss against Valley Christian High School. Boyd scored the Vikings’ only two runs in the game. Photo by: Matt Ersted

Editor’s Note: Sports Recap is The Paly Voice’s weekly recap of all-things-sports at Paly. Sports Recap may pull information from a variety of sources, including—but not limited to—The Paly Voice, The Campanile and The Viking Magazine. 

Baseball

Record for the Week: (2-0)
Overall Record: (22-3-1) ; League: (13-1-1)

The Vikings’ varsity baseball team swept their two-game series against league rival Los Altos Eagles (17-6-0). The Vikings defeated the Eagles 8-3 in the first game at Los Altos High School. Senior catcher Christian Lonsky struck in a home run, delivered two RBIs and scored two runs, while senior shortstop Ozzy Braff batted in three RBis and one run, to lead the Vikings on Wednesday. The Vikings completed the sweep with a 2-1 win over the Eagles last Friday at Paly, as senior pitcher Ben Sneider threw three strikeouts and let in one run while pitching six innings.

The Vikings finished the season two games ahead of the Eagles to sit in first place atop the SCVAL De Anza Division standings. The Vikings begin SCVAL playoffs against the Wilcox Chargers (18-9-0) on Tuesday at Santa Clara High School.

Boys’ Lacrosse

Record for the Week: (1-2)
Overall Record: (9-6-0) ; League: (5-4-0)

The Vikings’ varsity lacrosse team lost both of their league games this week, the first 7-10 to the Menlo-Atherton Bears (15-4-0) and the second 7-11 to the Menlo Knights (8-7-0). The Vikings turned it around, however, and finished the week with a non-conference, 9-8 victory over the University Red Devils (2-4-1).

The Vikings currently sit in fourth place in the SCVAL De Anza Division standings, half a game behind the Menlo Knights.

Girls’ Lacrosse

Record for the Week: (2-0)
Overall Record: (7-9-0) ; League: (5-7-0)

The Lady Vikings kept their playoff hopes alive, winning three straight games after having to forfeit six wins last week due to violations of CCS rules. The Vikings defeated the Pioneer Mustangs last Wednesday, 12-8. Then, they capped off the week with a 17-12 victory over the Los Gatos Wildcats (7-6-0) on Friday. The Vikings were led by junior midfielder Charlotte Biffar’s seven goals and senior captain Emy Kelty’s six draw wins and six forced turnovers against the Wildcats.

The Vikings continue their playoff push this week, looking to continue their winning streak this week against the struggling Sequoia Cherokees (0-8-0).

Track and Field

Boys’ Record: (6-0)
Girls’ Record: (4-2)

The Paly track and field teams wrapped up the SCVAL De Anza Division dual-meet title by blowing out the Saratoga Falcons last week, with the boys winning 110-16 and the girls winning 89-31.

While the Vikings performed up to par throughout the meet, it was junior sprinter E.J. Floreal who stole the show. Floreal sprinted past the school record for the 100 meters, turning in a spectacular time of 10.52 seconds, .05 seconds faster than the previous record of 10.57 seconds, by Kenny Smith in 1981. Floreal’s time also moved him to seventh place in CCS history, .02 seconds ahead of former Olympian Ato Bolden’s (Piedmont Hills) 10.54 seconds ran in 1991.

The SCVAL trials will be held this Tuesday and Thursday at Los Altos High School.

Golf

Overall Record: (9-1)

The Vikings’ golf team defeated the cross-town rival Gunn Titans in a nail-biter last Wednesday, 193-196. Freshman Alex Hwang shot a 37 to lead the Vikings to its second straight victory over the Titans.

Softball

Record for the Week: (1-2)
Overall Record: (6-15-0) ; League: (3-7-0)

The Paly softball team turned in mixed results last week, opening up the week with a 0-1 loss off of an eighth inning run to the Monta Vista Matadors (11-8-0). The Vikings followed that up with a 1-11 loss to the Homestead Mustangs (17-3-0), but finished the week strong with a 10-0 rout over the Fremont Firebirds (1-17-0).

The Lady Vikings sit in sixth place in the De Anza Division standings, three games ahead of the last place Firebirds.

Table Tennis

In table tennis news, Paly sophomore Lily Zhang qualified for the 2012 London Olympics in the last day of the North American table tennis qualifiers, in Cary, North Carolina. Click here for ESPN’s coverage on the event.