Girls' lacrosse team forced to forfeit season

Parents attend a press conference on Monday about the future of Paly girls lacrosse.

– Thibault Serlet

Parents of students on the Palo Alto High School girls’ varsity lacrosse team still have trouble believing how it was that a single member could disqualify the whole team for the Central Coast Section (CCS) championship.

At a conference Monday, Principal Phil Winston revealed that a team member who transferred into the school district mid-year lacked a residency form, which is required for all athletes who wish to compete, according to CCS rules. A residency form is signed by the parents of a student transferring into a new school, and is the responsibility of the incoming school to make sure all of the students have, Winston said.

The news comes as a blow to the team and parents alike who were optimistic for the season after winning all of their initial games.

According to Winston, the team had to forfeit a total of nine games, six of which were league games, as a result of the CCS rule violation.

The actual mid-term move is valid, according to Winston. All that was missing was the residency form.

“Nobody was being deceitful, nobody was being malicious, nobody was intent on causing any harm,” Winston said. He went on to explain that the entire issue was caused by miscommunication.

Athletic Director Earl Hansen was surprised that the team member, whose name is being withheld, was deemed ineligible.

“It was a surprise to me,” Hansen said. “She [the team member] appeared eligible.” 

There was no error in the school’s standard procedure, and no mistakes on the part of the school administration, according to Winston.

“When a student transfers into Paly, we do not concern ourselves with athletics,” Winston said. “We focus on academics.”

Winston and Hansen are now attempting to appeal to CCS representatives, but both have stated that prospects for the season are bleak.