Sports Recap: Week of April 16 – 23

Senior Ben Sneider pitched seven innings of one-hit ball and helped the Vikings to a 4-0 shutout win. Photo by: Grant Raffel

Editor’s Note: Sports Recap is The Paly Voice’s weekly recap of all-things-sports at Paly. Sports Recap may pull information from a variety of sources, including—but not limited to—The Paly Voice, The Campanile and The Viking Magazine. 

Baseball

Record for the Week: (2-0)
Overall Record: (19-3-1) ; League: (10-1-1)

The Vikings’ varsity baseball team finished a two game series sweep against the division rival Saratoga Falcons (15-8-0) this week. The Vikings romped the Falcons 14-2 in the first game last Wednesday at Saratoga as senior catcher Christian Lonsky led the way with two runs and four RBIs in the game. Later last Friday, the Vikings capped off the series with a 7-2 victory at home against the Falcons, with junior designated hitter Isaac Feldstein delivering two runs and an RBI. Finally, they outmatched their nonconference opponent Carmel Padres 14-4 on Saturday.

The Vikings now sit in second place in the Santa Clara Valley Athletic League De Anza Division standings, just half of a game behind the Los Altos Eagles (16-4-0; League: 10-1-0). The two teams meet this coming week in a decisive two game series for first place.

Boys’ Lacrosse

Record for the Week: (0-1)
Overall Record: (8-4-0) ; League: (5-2-0)

The Vikings’ varsity lacrosse team lost to the Sacred Heart Prep Gators (10-2-0), 6-14, in this week’s only game for the Vikings. Senior midfielder Kris Hoglund scored three goals and delivered one assist for the Vikings, but it wasn’t enough as Gators sophomore Frankie Hattler netted five goals and three assists for the surging Gators.

The Vikings remain in second place in the SCVAL Standings, two and a half games back behind the Gators.

Girls’ Lacrosse

Record for the Week: (1-1)
Overall Record: (5-9-0) ; League: (3-7-0)

The Lady Vikings opened up the week with a loss to conference foe St. Francis 13-15, followed by a 10-8 win over crosstown rival Gunn High School. Senior captains Kimmie Flather and Emy Kelty provided four goals and three assists, respectively, in the game against Gunn.

However, the Lady Vikings suffered a devasting blow to their season as complication with Central Coast Section rulings forced the Vikings to forfeit six wins this season due to violations involving an ineligible player. The Lady Vikings should have been tied for first place in the SCVAL standings with a 9-1 league record, but now sit near the bottom of the standings with a 3-7 record. Click here to read The Viking’s full story on the incident.

Track and Field

Boys’ Record: (5-0)
Girls’ Record: (3-2)

The Paly track and field teams delivered mixed results in this week’s meet against the rival Gunn Titans.

The boys defeated Gunn 78-44, with the 400 meter relay team running a time of 42.21 seconds and junior Victor Du jumping a 21 feet four and three quarters inches in the long jump. The girls lost to Gunn 69-53, but some highlights included the 400 meter relay team winning the event with a time of 50.31 seconds, sophomore Vivian Laurence placing first in the 200 meters race with a 27.50 seconds time and senior Lindsay Black winning the shot put event with a distance of 37 feet and seven and one half inches.

Boys’ Tennis

Overall Record: (10-8)

The Paly boys’ varsity tennis team swept their games this week with a 5-2 win over the Gunn Titans and another 5-2 victory over the Sacred Heart Prep Gators. Some standout Paly performances were senior Nicholas Hu’s 6-1, 6-4 win in number one singles and sophomore Austin Leung’s 6-4, 6-1 victory in number three singles, both agaisnt the Titans.

The Vikings can clinch a CCS berth with a win this Monday against the Cupertino Pioneers.

Golf

Overall Record: (8-1)

The Vikings’ golf team just barely pulled out the 204-200 victory over the Gunn Titans (6-2) last Tuesday at the Palo Alto Municipal Golf Course.

Sophomore Sam Niethammer led the Vikings with an even-par 36, while sophomore Patrick Fuery shot a 39 and both sophomore Clark Schmutz and junior Grant Raffel shot a 41 to help the Vikings defeat the Titans and take sole possession of first place in the SCVAL standings.

The Vikings face off against the Titans again this Wednesday, while the SCVAL Tournament will be held on Monday, April 30 and Tuesday, May 1.

Softball

Record for the Week: (1-1)
Overall Record: (5-13-0) ; League: (2-5-0)

The Paly softball team opened up its week with a 0-10 loss to the first place Wilcox Chargers, but ended its three game slide later in the week with a 7-6 victory over the Santa Clara Bruins. The Lady Vikings recieved contributions from many of their batters, with seven players scoring one run each to help the Vikings improve to 5-13 on the season.

The Lady Vikings currently sit in sixth place in the De Anza Division standings, three games ahead of the last place Fremont Firebirds.