Liveblog: National Seattle JEA/NSPA journalism convention

voice-picture

The Paly Voice is in Seattle for the National JEA/NSPA journalism convention with other publications from across the country.

– Image provided by wordle.net

The Paly Voice is in Seattle for the National JEA/NSPA journalism convention. Check back for updates as they happen from staff members David Lim and Thibault Serlet. Updates will be posted in chronological order from top to bottom.

Saturday 11:40 p.m.

Today was a success for The Paly Voice. We brought home multiple awards in the first of two award ceremonies. The Paly Voice won our sixth Online Pacemaker at the Seattle NSPA National Journalism Convention. We also won best of show for a large school online news website. Tomorrow a second award ceremony recognizes individual awards from the write-off competition held on Friday.

Saturday 2:33 p.m. 

The Paly Voice got recruited to the “When the big story breaks in your backyard” panel, hosted by Davis High School’s Blue Devil HUB, for Lim’s Jeremy Lin piece. The panel discusses how student publications react to big stories that student journalism has the opportunity to respond to first. 

Saturday 2:11 p.m.

The convention has hit full swing with classes and interaction with other publications from across the country. Some of the classes that we have attended range from media law, satire writing and bringing American journalism to China. Yesterday, The Paly Voice and Verde Magizine attended the keynote speech given by local columnist and founder of the It Gets Better Project, Dan Savage. Later today at 3:30 p.m., we will attend the primary award ceremony, where The Paly Voice is a finalist for a Pacemaker. Stay tuned for news on other awards Paly journalism have the oppertunity to win.

Friday, 11:42 a.m.

We are ready to go for the Pacemaker panel. Check the Twitter feed for live updates. 

Thursday, 11:40 p.m. 

We have arrived in Seattle, and took the Seattle light rail from Sea-Tac Airport to our hotel. We have settled in for the evening ready to get a fresh start early tomorrow morning for the convention. The Paly Voice will be hosting a panel tomorrow at noon with other online journalism Pacemaker finalists discussing the experiences we have encountered. We will also be discussing the future of high school online journalism.