Sports Recap: April 9 – 16

track5
Palo Alto High School sophomore Frankie Comey jumps the high jump during this Thursday’s meet against Lynbrook High School. Photo by: Edward Mei

Editor’s Note: Sports Recap is The Paly Voice’s weekly recap of all-things-sports at Paly. Sports Recap may pull information from a variety of sources, including — but not limited to — The Paly Voice, The Campanile and The Viking Magazine.

Baseball

Record for the Week: (2-1-0)
Overall Record: (16-3-1); League: (8-1-0)

The Vikings’ varsity baseball team opened up the week with a 3-0 win on Saturday over the Westmont Warriors (8-9-0). Senior center fielder B.J. Boyd led the way with three runs, and senior pitcher Ben Schneider took control of the mound for six innings while allowing zero runs. They also competed in the Elite Eight Baseball Tournament hosted at St. Francis High School. In the first round, the Vikings were defeated by the the St. Mary Rams (10-4-0), 1-8. Click here for The Mercury News’ recap of the game. However, the Vikings quickly put the defeat behind them and, later in the week, pulled out a victory in a shootout, last Tuesday, against the Santa Clara Bruins (2-15-2), 10-8.

The Vikings now sit in second place in the SCVAL De Anza Division standings, just half of a game behind the Los Altos Eagles (15-3-0; League: 9-1-0) in their respective league records.

Boys’ Lacrosse

Record for the Week: (1-0-0)
Overall Record: (8-3-0); League: (5-1-0)

The Vikings’ varsity lacrosse team trounced the Burlingame Panthers (4-7-0), 10-6, in this week’s only game for the Vikings. Senior midfielder Kris Hoglund stood above the rest with four goals and two assists in the game. The Vikings’ other scheduled game was against the Los Gatos Wildcats, but was postponed due to rain and lightning.

The Vikings are now in second place in the SCVAL Standings, two and a half games back behind the Sacred Heart Prep Gators (9-1-0 League: 7-0-0)

Girls’ Lacrosse

Record for the Week: (2-0)
Overall Record: (6-2-0); League: (4-0-0)

The Lady Vikings led a successful week with two wins over the Saratoga Falcons (3-5-0) and the Sequoia Cherokees (0-4-0). The Vikings defeated the Falcons 13-6 behind the sisters Emy, senior, and Nina, junior, Kelty, each scoring multiple goals apiece. Read The Vikings’ full coverage here.

Later in the week, the Vikings’ automically defeated the Sequoia Cherokees, who were disqualified after they failed to show up to the game.

The Vikings currently sit atop the SCVAL standings with a league record of 4-0-0.

Track and Field

The Paly track and field teams easily defeated the Lynbrook High School track and field teams this Thursdsay at Paly. Boys’ varstiy won by a score of 100-27, while the girls’ team won 76-51. Junior E.J. Floreal set two SCVAL season records for the 100 meter and 200 meter races, with times of 10.99 and 22.09 seconds, respectively. Sophomore Pippa Raffel led the girls with two wins in both the long jump and the triple jump, while also placing second in the 100 meters. Freshman Katie Foug captured the girls’ 1600 race with a 5:19.84 time.

The Vikings head back to the track in a much anticipated meet against cross town rival Gunn High School, this Thursday at Paly.

Boys’ Tennis

Overall Record: (8-8)

The Paly boys’ varsity tennis team lost their only match of the week to the Lynbrook Vikings, 4-3. Some standout Paly performances were senior Dar Shavit’s 6-4, 7-5 win in singles, and the doubles team, consisting of sophomores Aditya Mahavedan and Jack Paladin, pulling out a 6-3, 6-2 victory.

The Vikings look to redeem themselves next week, as they have four matches lined up.

Golf

Overall Record: (7-1)

The Vikings’ golf team suffered their first loss, on Wednesday, to the Homestead Mustangs by a score of 199-203. John Knowles of Paly shared medalist honors with a 1-over-par 36 as the Vikings dropped to 7-1 in the division, tied with the Gunn Titans for first.