Senator Simitian urges proactivity, persistence

If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.

That was the message State Senator Simitian brought to a crowd of pizza-munching students at Palo Alto High School on Friday. Simitian, a former Paly graduate, spoke about his career in public policy and the need for students to work toward a common good.

“When I was here [at Palo Alto High School] in the late ‘60s, there was a saying which is that, if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem,” Simitian said. “And we very much believed that. So my notion was that, by going into politics and government, I could be part of the solution.”

Simitian emphasized that everyone could work together toward “the solution,” and that politics was not the only means to do so.

“I happen to do that [be part of the solution] as an elected official,” Simitian explained. “You don’t have to do that as an elected official. You could work in city government. You could say, ‘I don’t want to be part of politics and government, I’m going to be part of the solution by being a really great teacher.’ Or by being a businessman or woman, create jobs, create tax revenue.”

Simitian also encouraged students to never give up. He cited an example from his own political career in which it took him six attempts and over five years to pass SB 1613, a bill which requires drivers to have both hands on the wheel while talking on a cellphone.

“For any one of you who has tried and tried and come up short, it took me six times before I could get the bill passed,” Simitian said. “So keep trying.”

Simitian bemoaned the lack of sincerity in politics, noting that, “I can never get a compliment and believe it is sincere,” but said public policy makers find fulfillment by positively impacting the lives of those they represent.

“The part that is most satisfying is the ability to actually affect people’s individual lives,” Simitian said.