Vikings plunder Homestead, 11-0

Junior catcher Alec Furrier connects on an at bat late in the bottom of the sixth inning during Wednesday’s game against the Homestead Mustangs. The Vikings would defeat the Mustangs, 11-0.

– Edward Mei

As senior Justin Grey crossed home plate for the last time in the bottom of the sixth inning, everyone in the Paly stands shook their heads in disbelief, smiling quietly to themselves: it was just that kind of a day. 

The Palo Alto High School baseball team (7-1-1) romped the Homestead Mustangs (5-5-0), 11-0, today, at Paly.

Amid looming clouds and a heavy sprinkle of rain, the Vikings brushed their shoulders off and looked sharp on both sides of the floor right from the get-go. On the other hand, the Mustangs seemed fazed by the rain, letting balls bounce through their gloves and throwing inaccurately all game long.

Viking center fielder B.J. Boyd started the game off with a run after the Mustang’s catcher failed to stop a wild pitch in the bottom of the first inning. That trend of scoring off errors would continue throughout the rest of the game and would contribute to the Vikings’ victory.

In the bottom of the second inning, senior first baseman Clay Carey and senior outfielder Justin Grey began the inning grounding out in consecutive at bats. Then, led by an RBI triple by senior second baseman Jack Witte, the Vikings exploded with four consecutive runs, two on errors, which pushed the lead up to 5-0.

The Vikings would ride that wave of momentum the rest of the game, and extended their lead to 9-0 in the fourth inning with four more runs, including three scores off errors and a bases loaded walk.

The Vikings capped off the scoring with two additional runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, finishing the game with 11 runs on 12 hits.

Aside from the offense, the Viking defense stepped up as well with senior pitcher Kevin Kannappan leading the way. Despite rain throughout most of the game, Kannappan remained poised and shutout the Mustangs in five innings with only two hits.

“It was a great win,” Kannappan said. “We really just played team ball today and took advantage of miscues on their part.”

When asked about his performance, Kannappan praised his teammates’ efforts.

“My teammates always have my back on the field and they played such good defense behind me that it was easy for me to come in and throw strikes,” Kannappan added. “So basically, the win was pretty much all their credit.”

The Vikings’ next game is at 3:30 p.m. this Friday, when they travel to Homestead High School with a chance to, once again, drown the Mustangs with an offensive thunderstorm.