Students participate in Millard Fillmore Trivia Hunt

Paly’s submission for “provide a picture for someone from your team’s school next to the plaque commemorating the nearby passenger station as California’s oldest,” as part of the Millard Fillmore Trivia Hunt. The Friends of Millard Fillmore Trivia Hunt has been held locally since 1969.

– Meridian Tran

Palo Alto High School students will attend adjudication at 3 p.m. today at Woodside High School to find out the results of the Friends of Millard Fillmore Trivia Hunt, in which they competed in this past weekend.

The Friends of Millard Fillmore Trivia Hunt has been held locally since 1969, according to its official website. 

This year, Palo Alto High School,  Woodside High School, Carlmont High School, Castilleja and Henry M. Gunn High School participated, according to co-captain Meridian Tran.

The Millard Fillmore Trivia Hunt is essentially a “scavenger hunt in books,” according to Tran. Students are asked to find answers to pieces of trivia and to find printed proof of their answers. Books, encyclopedias, magazines and newspapers are considered valid sources, whereas the Internet is not.

“You have two days to find not only an answer, but also find it [the answer] in books and encyclopedias and newspapers,” Tran said.

Results for the competition will be determined during adjudication.

“There are only five schools competing,” Tran said. “But I actually think we had a good amount done. We didn’t finish, but we had a lot of the bring-ins and the objects.”

The team’s other co-captain, Ana Carano, shared Tran’s optimism.

“I don’t want to jinx it,” Carano said. “I think we did pretty well. All our citations were fine, which was a problem in earlier years, and we had all our bring-ins and everything. We answered all the questions we could and were efficient.”

Bring-ins are objects that students are asked to find and are worth points in the competition, according to Tran.

This year, participants were asked to “bring in a picture of you and the oldest person you can find,” according to Tran.

Tran noted that teamwork is essential to Paly’s success.

“The only reason we have captains is for organizational purposes,” Tran said. “We all participate the same way. The captains just happen to be more knowledgeable about the research.”

The Millard Fillmore Trivia Hunt is held every year in February and follows a basic schedule, according to Carano and Tran.

“The competition is always Friday to Sunday,” Tran said. “Monday is adjudication when some people from your team the librarian, lawyer and reader come with the answer packet and documentation and the judges go over the questions. The reader goes over the answers, the lawyer tries to defend the answers, and the librarian handles the papers.”

Confirmed to be at adjudication will be  Meridian Tran, Ana Carano and Clio Jamason, according to Tran.