Students to participate in math contest

Students in honors-lane mathematics will take the American Mathematics Contest at 8:15 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 7, according to math department Instructional Supervisor Radu Toma.

Toma added that any student can register with him before the test on Tuesday if they wish to take the examination.

Because of the contest, the schedule for the week of Feb. 6 will be different.

According to Palo Alto High School’s online calendar, Monday will be a T Day with periods 2, 4, 6 and Tutorial. Tuesday will be a special day with 35-minute class periods and all seven periods, with classes starting at 10:15 a.m.; students participating in the AMC should arrive for the contest at 8:15 a.m.

There will be two tests available for the students: the AMC 10 and the AMC 12. According to The Mathematical Association of America’s website, students in or under the 10th grade can take the AMC 10 while students in or under the 12th grade can take the AMC 12.

Toma, who is optimistic about the AMC, says that Paly sent around 40 students to the American Invitational Mathematics Examination last year — something called “pretty spectacular.” 

“There are good schools in the Bay Area who don’t qualify one person at all,” Toma said.

Paly has done well  historically, sending current juniors Jeffrey Yan and Jeffrey Ling to the USAJMO (for top AMC 10 and AIME performers) in 2010 and 2011 respectively. Both placed in the top 13 during their respective years.

For more information, check out  The Mathematical Association of America’s website.