Static invites students, parents to bonfire

Break Through the Static, an non-profit organization committed to anti-suicide efforts, is inviting Peninsula high school students to a bonfire at 8 p.m. on Saturday at the Boy Scout’s Fire Pit at Lucie Stern Community Center.

The bonfire will be a stigma-free event where all teen attendees will feel encouraged to be themselves, share their stories, and have lots of fun, according to Jade Chamness, founder of BTS.

Additionally, the bonfire is an opportunity for Static’s Teen Advisory Board “to break through the stigma surrounding suicide,” Chamness said, “and introduce Static to their peers, especially those impacted by suicide.”

TAB is comprised of Bay Area teenagers who are local advocates for Static in their communities, according to Static’s website. TAB and Static “want local teens impacted by suicide to know that they are not alone in their grief, and that they are invited to join the Static community,” according to Chamness.

Chamness says that Static provides various programs and community events that don’t involve talking about about suicide, including art retreats, ski and snowboard retreats, dances and roller skating parties.

Static will host a range of entertainment from high school students. Performances will include alternative bands Eternal Downpour and Bad Maggie, to pop, rock singer Gaby Castro, to the Collective Light Tribe to Rapper R.E.N, and Beat Master DaShamen.

Bonfire attendees will make s’mores on an open fire, listen to music, and meet local teens. Furthermore, adults and teens will be competing in Chubby Bunny, a recreational game which involves marshmallows and catchy phrases.

Supt. Kevin Skelly plans on winning Chubby Bunny because, as he says, “I have a big mouth, so I can win this.”

For more details, go to the BTS’s Bonfire Facebook Event Page.