Student Activities Director to perform in New Zealand

voice-picture

Student Activities Director and Japanese teacher Matt Hall will be in New Zealand for the next two weeks to raise money for earthquake victims.

– Courtesy of Santa Cruz Sentinel

Student Activities Director and Japanese teacher Matt Hall left campus after lunch today to catch his flight to New Zealand, where he will be juggling at a benefit for the 2011 Christchurch earthquake.

“I have a lot of different [juggling] routines with different props and they’ve asked me to actually host the main gala show,” Hall said. “So probably what I will be doing is hosting and then, while the other acts are setting up and the curtains closed, I’ll be doing my little mini acts in between each act. And I’ll probably also either open or close the show.”

Hall said that proceeds from the event will go to funding disaster relief efforts to deal with the conditions arising from the multiple earthquakes in New Zealand over the past few years.

“They [New Zealanders] have been hit a couple times in the last several years and there are still people, displaced persons and victims of the disaster, that need help,” Hall said. “They called me in to round out the cast of international performers that they’re bringing in and try to raise some money.”

Hall said that he will also teach circus arts at a workshop for the Auckland Circus.

Hall will stay in New Zealand until Feb. 7.