Panel to discuss tech, journalism

Professional journalists will participate in a panel discussion at Palo Alto High School about technology and journalism at 12:15 p.m. Friday, in the English Resource Center.

According to the flier for the event, the moderator of the event Doreen Bloch, a Paly alumnus of the class of 2006 and a former editor in chief for The Paly Voice, will lead a discussion with four panelists: VentureBeat Executive Editor Dylan Tweney, Women 2.0 editor in chief Angie Chang, San Jose Mercury News reporter Mike Swift and Palo Alto Patch editor Aaron Selverston.

“The panelists are remarkable members of the technology journalism community,” Bloch wrote in an email to The Paly Voice. “All the panelists are really excited about participating, and they’re prepared to discuss fascinating topics about technology and journalism.”

According to Bloch, the event will be open for two Paly classes and a handful of Paly parents and alumni, with few spots for other community members.

Bloch added that she wanted journalism students at Paly to learn more about technology and journalism, and therefore, planned the event to introduce such topics to the students.

“When I was a student at Paly, I appreciated any time teachers could bring real-world experts into the classroom to speak about interesting, relevant topics,” Bloch wrote. “While writing my book, The Coolest Startups in America, I had the idea to bring an event on technology and journalism to Paly’s journalism program because technology reporting is becoming more and more popular.”

Some topics will include the SOPA and PIPA legislation, start-ups and professional journalism, according to Bloch, who anticipates that the event will go very well.

“The panel will be stellar,” Bloch wrote. “They’re [panelists] phenomenal, and I’m so excited for the student to be able to learn from them.”

To sign up for the event, click here.