New school website coming soon

Palo Alto Unified School District staff is working on a redesigned Paly.NET webpage, and plans to launch the refreshed site after winter break, according to Paly technology coordinator Pat O’Hara.

“The site is targeted to launch mid-January,” O’Hara said. “It’s new technology for us, though. There is a small chance it will be later.”

The new webpage uses a different software program that will allow the administration to update the site with greater frequency, according to O’Hara.

“The site uses a software package called Drupal,” O’Hara said. “The most beneficial feature, I believe, is that the task of editing the various parts of the site can be securely delegated to people who know the content best.”

This means that once the new website goes live, students can expect information that is more recent.

“The result is more current, relevant content for our users,” O’Hara said. “Another benefit is that menu and content layout can be changed more easily than with our current system.”

PAUSD staff has been working on the new website for about six months, according to O’Hara.

The administration called for the renovation because it believes that the Paly website is due for review. Paly has maintained its current website for the past seven years.

“Web design has changed a great deal since our current site was created in 2004,” O’Hara said. “We need a new look.”