ASB elects new co-treasurers

The Associated Student Body elected senior Tremaine Kirkman and junior Josh Madej to be the new co-treasurers on Wednesday, Nov. 30, according to Student Activities Director Matt Hall.

Following the resignation of former-treasurer and senior Kevin Wang, five ASB students expressed interest in the vacant position. Multicultural Commissioner Kirkman and 4th Period Rep Director Madej were selected to fill the role, according to Hall.

“A vote by secret ballot was conducted, counted by [auditor] Ms. Sing, ASB President Veerappan, and myself,” Hall said. “The top two vote getters, Tremaine Kirkman and Josh Madej, chose to share the duties rather than going to a run-off.”

Hall says, given the unprecedented circumstances, ASB proceeded cautiously with their decision.  

“The current ASB constitution has no specific provision in it for the replacement of an officer who has resigned,” Hall said. “I think the group handled the job in a straight-forward, mature and common sensical fashion.”

ASB President Uma Veerapan brought up the idea of electing replacements for the position. The election took place because ASB chose to limit the number of officers holding the title instead of allowing all five candidates to share the role, according to Hall.

“When five different individuals expressed interest in the work, the group then moved to a discussion of sharing the job out between the five, or voting for a specific candidate,” Hall said. “The consensus reached by the group was that narrowing the field was a better idea, and so we moved to individual statements from each of the students. The last step was the ballot vote.”

Kirkman expressed enthusiasm for his new role and aims to further improve Paly through his experience.

“I’m pretty excited to be elected as treasurer,” Kirkman said. “I have been part of ASB for a while, so I have a lot of experience with how finances work with ASB. It is a lot of responsibility with the surplus that we have. I’m really excited to learn more about the position and try to impact Paly for the better.”

Both Madej and Kirkman chose to ran for the position because they felt as if their current positions offered plenty of free time, and they wanted more responsibilities, according to Kirkman.

“I just wanted to take on more responsibility this year, and try to do as much as I possibly could for ASB,” Kirkman said. “I feel like I had a lot of time left outside of my normal duties as multicultural commissioner, so I wanted to do as much as possible.”

The new co-treasurers will step into their new roles by assessing the funds available for future plans, according to Madej.

“We’re going to reporting back to ASB about our current spending, how much we have available in funds, Madej said. “[We will be] organizing and keeping track of how much funds we have available for everything we do.”

Moving forward, ASB continues to plan events for the rest of the school year, according to Hall.

“ASB is not about any one particular position or one particular person,” Hall said. “Given that this year’s ASB is a solid group in my opinion, I am happy to see them already moving forward with the work at hand.”