Liveblog: Palo Alto loses to Bellarmine for CCS Open Division title, 41-13

A swarm of Paly defenders led by senior linebacker Brennan Miller sack Leland High School’s quarterback in Paly’s 20-6 CCS first round victory over the Chargers.

– Matt Ersted

The Palo Alto High School Vikings (10-2) lost to the Bellarmine College Preparatory Bells (11-1) in the Central Coast Section Open Division championship football game on Friday at San Jose City College.

Final score: Palo Alto 13, Bellarmine 41.

10:37 pm – It’s over. Bellarmine wins 41-13. Congratulations to both teams for solid seasons. The Bells appear destined to go to the same CIF Division I State Championship the Vikings won last year.

10:35 pm – Paly gets the ball back at its own 20 after a touchback punt.

10:26 pm – The Vikings get the ball from a Bellarmine punt and Chryst throws a 48 yard touchdown pass to BJ Boyd. Paly trails 41-13 with 3:10 left in the game following a missed point after.

10:22 pm – Chryst’s pass to BJ Boyd is intercepted in the end zone and the Bells take over from their own 2.

10:19 pm – Paly’s offense is coming to life as Chryst and Austin Braff connected on a 20 yard pass and Jayshawn Gates-Mouton added a 20 yard run.

10:14 pm – Bells score their sixth touchdown of the night and take a 41-7 lead with 9:19 to go.

10:08 pm – The third quarter ends with Bellarmine on the Paly 35 leading 34-7. 

10:01 pm – With 3:34 to go in the third quarter, Paly punts and Bellarmine gets the ball at its own 41.

9:53 pm – Bellarmine marches down the field and scores on its first possession of the second half and leads 34-7.

9:24 pm – The first half ends as Keller Chryst Is sacked. The Bells take a 27-7 lead into halftime.

9:20 pm – McHugh passes for a 12 yard touchdown with 37 seconds in the half. Bellarmine leads 27-7

9:18 pm – Vikings commit a personal foul penalty on a play where the Bells converted on fourth and seven and move up to the Paly 12.

9:12 pm – Palo Alto goes three and out and Chryst punts to the Viking 40, where the Bells have 1:34 to try to score before the half.

9:06 pm – Bellarmine quarterback Travis McHugh rushes through the middle for a 20 yard touchdown. Bellarmine takes a 20-7 lead with 2:02 remaining in the first half.

9:02 pm – Bellarmine is driving, converting on many third downs. The Bells are on the Viking 20 yard line with 2:18 to go in the half. Timeout Paly.

8:56 pm – The Bells convert on third and 10 yards despite committing a false start penalty on the previous play. Bellarmine stands at its own 41 with 5:45 left in the half.

8:53 pm – Chryst punts from midfield to the Bellarmine 20, where the Bells will take over.

8:49 pm – The Vikings get the kickoff at their own 20 and currently stand at the 50.

8:43 pm – Paly commits an encroachment penalty on fourth and one, allowing Bellarmine to score the next play on a five yard rush. The Bells now lead 13-7 with 9:41 remaining in the first half.

8:37 pm – The first quarter ends with the Bells driving and at the Viking 19 yard line, but Paly leads 7-6.

8:30 pm – BJ Boyd returns the ensuing kickoff 98 yards for a Vikings touchdown. After a Justin Grey point after, Paly takes a 7-6 lead with 3:29 to go in the first quarter.

8:28 pm – Bellarmine quarterback Travis McHugh runs for a 54-yard touchdown following punt but misses the extra point. The Bells lead 6-0.

8:26 pm – Paly punts again, this time to the Bells’ own 46.

8:23 pm – Bellarmine punts and Paly takes over from own 20.

8:20 pm – Chryst’s deep pass to BJ Boyd is intercepted. Bellarmine takes over in own territory.

8:15 pm – Bellarmine goes three-and-out and PALY takes over at its 19.

8:12 pm – Following a quick three-and-out from the 40 yard line, Keller Chryst punts and Bellarmine takes over at it’s own 30.

8:08 pm – Palo Alto receives the kickoff after Bellarmine wins the coin toss but defers.

8:06 pm – Game time temperature 58 degrees F.

Check back here for live updates throughout the game. Or, follow our Twitter feed, @ThePalyVoice, for updates on the go. Check out Voice’s preview and keys to the game here.