Volleyball advances to NorCal Finals

voice-picture

After defeating San Ramon Valley High School, the Lady Vikes are advancing to the NorCal finals against Saint Francis High School.

– Juliana Moraes-Liu

Palo Alto High School’s volleyball team (34-3) will advance to the California Interscholastic Federation Northern California Finals after defeating San Ramon Valley High School (35-9), 3-0, on Nov. 26, today, at Paly. 

The Lady Vikes captured slim victories for the first two sets, scoring 25-20 and 25-23, respectively.

“San Ramon Valley played awesome the first two sets,” assistant coach Andrew Lim said. “They made almost no errors. Probably the fewest of any team we played this season.”

The Vikes had difficulty achieving a definite lead in the first two sets, but managed to do so both times.

“I think we survived the first two sets against a team which was really executing really well,” head coach David Winn said. “San Ramon Valley minimized their errors, forced us to do some things we really shouldn’t have done like miss some serves and make some mini-errors.” 

Paly won the third set with a more commanding victory, scoring 24-12. The Lady Vikes scored seven consecutive points making the score 8-1, and then scored five more points taking the score to 13-2 with only one point from the San Ramon wolves in between.

“I think we did a really nice job coming out for the third,” Winn said.

Tonight’s win means that Paly will advance to NorCal Finals against Menlo-Atherton High School at 7 p.m next Tuesday, Nov. 29, at Paly.

“I’m really excited for our game,” senior starting outside hitter Maddie Kuppe said. “Based on the last set, the score was not too close, which is a big deal and can’t be devalued.” 

If Paly wins NorCal Finals, the Lady Vikes will qualify to the California State Championships to defend its California State Champion title.

“NorCal Finals is one step away from states, which is definitely our goal for the season,” senior starting setter Kimmie Whitson said.

The Lady Vikes remain hopeful for their next game.

“We still have a lot of work to do in practice, but we are ready,” Kuppe said.